Bond can be available to speak on a variety of topics related to his books, including church history and writing. Wherever I begin, expect me to make a beeline for Jesus Christ and the gospel of grace alone in Him alone. Follow Bond's Blog
1. CHURCH HISTORY Biographical lectures, with practical and devotional application to the church and our lives as Christians in a world hostile to Christ and his Gospel of grace alone. John Calvin, John Knox, John Wycliffe, Covenanters, John Bunyan, Jonathan Edwards, William Cowper, Blaise Pascal, JS Bach, Isaac Watts, and a variety of hymn writers and featured hymns that serve as the controlling idea and outline for the message.
2. FATHERS & SONS based on STAND FAST and HOLD FAST: This can be in a single message or divided into segments: Fatherhood defined, illustrated; blessings and challenges; unique challenges for young men in a postmodern world; what standing fast means biblically; how to stand fast in Christ in a variety of areas (see table of contents of SF for specific messages that your group or organization might want me to deliver as lectures or messages).
3. HEROISM & TRUE GREATNESS. The importance of Heroism for today’s young people (especially young men): why every Christian needs to be a student of Church history; the forgotten Covenanters: heroes from the 17th century; Reformation heroes. The value of historical fiction in the study of history. Excerpts from Crown & Covenant Trilogy; gleanings from Bond's research for his novel on the life of John Calvin, THE BETRAYAL, now published in Dutch as Het Verraad. John Knox and the Scottish Reformation. Samuel Rutherford, and others.
4. WRITING: See Writing Tutorial outline. A recent lecture developed using important observations C S Lewis made about writing, taken from a variety of his professional and avocational writings. These are age-appropriate lecture/discussions for adults, teens, or younger people. These include historical fiction writing, non-fiction writing, the central importance of poetry, the history, importance, and relevance of Christian hymnody for today’s Christian community; how to write hymns in Common Meter and in Long Meter, iambic and trochaic…
5. WRITING POETRY & HYMNODY (with references to my Mr. Pipes series on Christian Hymnody) with tutorial handouts, models, the historical/biblical relationship between Psalms and hymns, the anatomy of a hymn from biblical idea to finished composition, etc. See NEW REFORMATION HYMNS written by the author.
6. SKETCHES OF HYMN WRITERS & HYMNS: Watts and Alas, and did my Savior Bleed; Addison and Spacious Firmament on high, and When all Thy mercies, O my God; Timothy Dwight and I love Thy Kingdom, Lord; Anna Waring and Father, I know that all my life is portioned out for me; Cowper and God moves in a mysterious way; Calvin and I Greet Thee Who My Sure Redeemer Art, and more.
7. FAVORITE BOOK TALKS: with readings from my books and Q&A, and discussion. Example: passages from Crown & Covenant on just war theory, when killing is justifiable, obedience to unjust rulers, other. Or from The Betrayal or Guns of Providence on lust and resisting temptation; or Hostage Lands, Roman Empire history, especially in Britain, Roman warfare, early Church persecutions, challenges posed for Christians in that pagan world, what we can learn about how to face the challenges in our pagan world. Appropriate for small to mid-sized groups or could be adapted for larger groups.
8. TO BE A CHILD OR NOT TO BE A CHILD: Based on Paul in I Corinthians 13: "When I was a child, I thought like a child...," this message examines the difference between being childish and being childlike. Jesus said that unless we become like little children we cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven. This message is an exhortation to be,by the transforming power of the gospel of free grace, a child in the way in which Jesus meant. I explore the important differences between childishness and biblical humility, all by the power of the new birth.
9. CHRISTIANITY, CULTURE, and LITERATURE: Why read imaginative literature? Features from such notable authors as Shakespeare, John Donne, Milton, Daniel Defoe, Sophocles, C. S. Lewis, Steinbeck, Charles Dickens, Doris Lessing, others.
10. BIBLICAL ECONOMICS: What does the Bible teach about private property ownership, implications to Capitalism, Free Market, justice for poor. Features on Adam Smith and other economists.
Profile: Douglas Bond, author of more than twenty books of historical fiction, biography, devotion, and theology; with his wife Cheryl has six children. He is a ruling elder in the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA); has a Masters in Teaching (MIT) from St Martin's University, and a Preliminary Certificate in Theology from Moore Theological College, NSW Australia; teaches English and history at a classical Christian high school; and was awarded by the Pierce County Library Foundation and Arts Commission the "2005 Teacher Award" for teaching young adults how to write. He is on the advisory board of Glorious Films (Montreal) with Derek Thomas, Michael Haykin, and others (2014). As a hymn writer and author of several books on hymn writers and hymnody, Bond was asked to be a consultant for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's (CBC) special feature series on Christian hymns God's Greatest Hits (2012). Additionally, Bond has led Church History tours in Europe since 1996 (www.bondvoyage.webs.com), and has also been consulted on church history documentary films. Frequently interviewed on Christian radio stations, Bond's articles on church history and theology have appeared in Modern Reformation, Table Talk, Light and Life magazines, and in the Aquila Report. In addition to leading church history tours, Bond often lectures at conferences on literature and Church history.
DETAILED AUTHOR PROFILE: DOUGLAS BOND, www.bondbooks.net
1. Biographical Outline:
· Douglas E Bond, born 10/29/58, son of Douglas E Bond, MIT-trained, systems-engineer-turned-Christian-school-principal (37 years). Raised by godly parents brought to faith in Christ at early age; blessed with godly nurture and winsome examples of heartfelt love and service to Christ.
· Teacher for more than 25 years: since 1993 at Covenant High School, a classical Christian school (PCA) in Tacoma, WA. One year Lavengamalie College, Kingdom of Tonga; two years at Tacoma Baptist Schools; one year at Mariposa Christian School.
· Leader of many UK/Europe church history tours (1996-Present).
· Seven years commercial photography: Weyerhaeuser Co.; Port of Tacoma; other timber, shipping, medical, airline industry; Sunset Magazine, Break Away, and others; advertising and PR, corporate reports, various clients (Awards and features).
· St. Martin’s University: MIT in education. BA in history
· Preliminary Certificate in Theology, Moore Theological College, NSW, Australia
· Continuing education: Pacific Lutheran University, Seattle Pacific University; Antioch University; BA Washington Baptist Teachers College.
· Married 8/30/83 to Cheryl Marie Bond
· Children: 4 adult children and spouses, and two "littles" Giles and Gillian
· Homeschool lower grades, then Covenant High School
4. General Interest(s)
· Daughter Brittany Premier Scottish Highland dancer and teacher (grade 3 certification); Study abroad at Paul Cezanne University, Aix-en-Provence, France (07-08); French and linguistics degree, Seattle Pacific University
· Middle sons National Champion sprint kayak racers; Rhodri degree from University of Washington, married with children; Cedric USA Junior Worlds National Team, Recice, Czech Republic, 07, and USA Junior Worlds National Team, Moscow, Russia, 09; both bagpipers and one-time members of Peninsula Pipes and Drums; Cedric, history degree from Oklahoma City University, and law school; Desmond, welder, cell-tower maintenance employee, Legacy
· Family activities: sailing, old wooden boat projects, fishing, shooting, travel, bicycling, reading books
· Family sailing/camping trips: San Juan and Gulf Islands summers from 93-2004; 2001 summer UK camping and canal boating
5. Church Fellowship
· Resurrection Presbyterian Church (PCA) members
Faith Presbyterian Church (PCA), Tacoma, WA, for 25 years
· Ruling elder since 2001; RUF Presbytery committee member; adult SS teacher
· Hymn writer http://bondbooks.net/NEW%20HYMNS.htm
· Speaker schedule: http://bondbooks.net/speaking%20schedule.htm
6. Other Writing Experience and/or Plans
· Various articles published in several magazines, including MODERN REFORMATION (97-2011)
· Mr. Pipes books (3) Christian Liberty Press, (99-2001)
· Duncan’s War, King’s Arrow, Rebel’s Keep (Crown & Covenant), The Accidental Voyage, Hostage Lands, Guns of Thunder, Guns of the Lion (released 08), Guns of Providence (released 2010), STAND FAST In the Way of Truth (January 08 release), HOLD FAST In a Broken World (08 released), Guns of Providence, 2010, P&R Publishing (2002-2008)
· The Betrayal, a novel on John Calvin (P&R) for Calvin’s 500th birthday. Best-selling, now published in Dutch, Het Verraad. And pending in Turkish
THE MIGHTY WEAKNESS OF JOHN KNOX, Reformation Trust (Ligonier Ministries), Profile biography on John Knox, released, June, 2011.
THE THUNDER, a novel on John Knox, Historical novel on Knox P&R complete, to release, June, 2012.
THE DOXOLOGICAL GENIUS OF ISAAC WATTS, RT biography on Isaac Watts, complete, to release September, 2012
AUGUSTUS TOPLADY: Debtor to Mercy Alone (May, 2012), Evangelical Press (UK publisher). GIROLAMO SAVONAROLA: Heart Aflame (May, 2013), EP
· HAND OF VENGEANCE, 8th century Anglo Saxon historical fiction planned, contract, and completion date of (September 2011). COMPLETED! to release, July, 2012.
· GRACE that WORKS, And Ways We Think It Doesn't. Released, 2014. Ideas have been forming for this book for well over two years now. 80% complete, to finish by 10/1/2012
14th century historical fiction England and France in progress, to be complete 9/1/2012·
Job’s Hard Job, children’s picture book in verse completed, pending with P&R or RHB (possibly 1st in series); The Truth About Ruth, in progress. 4-Book series planned
19th century Hudson Bay Company, Pacific Northwest tale, to be complete 3/1/2013
Huguenots historical fiction planned, to be complete summer, 9/1/2013
· www.bondbooks.net for more information